Thursday, September 26, 2013

This week I decided to look more into the right of privacy. Everyone likes to have privacy and in the digital age it is becoming more and more of a problem. A big issue with privacy was raised when it was discovered that the NSA was monitoring American phone calls. Are our phone calls protected by the constitution? Many would refer to the 4th Amendment that protects us from unreasonable searches and seizures. In this aspect you would think that yes our personal calls are protected. However I believe the NSA did a good job of covering their backs. They admitted to the searches but they also said that they only monitored phones of people suspect of affiliating with terrorists. They also told us that when they monitored calls of non-terrorist affiliates they were monitoring them because they were using key words associated with threats. I believe that our privacy should be protected, but I also want to live in a safe country. I like knowing I’m safe and I am willing to give up my phone calls in order for protection. I don’t think that most Americans agree with me but they should. People who are afraid that their calls are being monitored must have a guilty mind. As long as you don’t talk to you friend about bombing a capital building or shooting up a school I think you’ll be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment