Thursday, October 3, 2013

This week we were able watch a video about how hard drives of old computers can be used to steal all of your information. These hard drives are a part of the tons of ewaste that we ship to third world countries to dispose of. In these countries there are high level criminals that are taking the hard drives and stealing peoples money. I was absolutely amazed by this. We have been learning about how we get rid of our ewaste and as bad as it was I wasn't really shocked by it too much. We are a powerful country and it doesn't really surprise me that we would do this to another countries population. However when I saw that information can be easily taken off of these computers and used against the previous owner I was stunned. Our country is supposed to have our back and protect us, and meanwhile they are shipping our private information to countries miles away. I thought of how my family could lose all our money and our personal information can be observed by people I don't even know. Its pitiful that we know about this, and yet we continue to ship millions of tons of ewaste to countries miles away. I will know never leave my hard drive in a computer in fear that it will end up in the hands on someone with the knowledge to use it against me.

No comments:

Post a Comment